Rod Eggert, Professor
Professor and Division Director
Division of Economics and Business
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401-1887
- Mining and the Environment: International Perspectives on Public Policy (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1994). Editor.
- International Mineral Economics: Mineral Exploration, Mine Valuation, Markets, and International Mineral Policies (Berlin: Springer?Verlag, 1988). Co-authored with Werner Gocht and Half Zantop.
- World Mineral Exploration: Trends and Economic Issues (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1988). Co-edited with John E. Tilton and Hans H. Landsberg.
- Metallic Mineral Exploration: An Economic Analysis (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1987).
- Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- "What Sustainability and Sustainable Development Mean for Mining," pp. 19-32. J.A. Botin, editor, in Sustainable Management of Mining Operations (Littleton, Colorado, Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, 2009).
- "Depletion and the Future Availability of Pertroleum Resources," The Energy Journal, vol.30, no., 2009, pp. 141-174. Co-authored with R. Aguilera, G. Lagos, and J. Tilton.
- “The Boom in Mineral Markets: How Long Might It Last?” Resources Policy, September 2008, pp. 125-128. Co-authored with M. Radetzki, G. Lagos, M. Lima, and J.E. Tilton.
- “Mining, Sustainability, and Sustainable Development,” pp. 187-194 in Philip Maxwell, editor, Australian Mineral Economics, Monograph 24 (Carlton, Victoria, Australia, Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 2006).
- “The Mineral Economies: Performance, Potential Problems, and Policy Challenges,” pp. 7-48 in Managing Mineral Wealth (Addis Ababa, UN Economic Commission for Africa, 2004). I also wrote the Introduction and edited the entire set of papers in this 200-page book, which represents a set of training materials (for students and government officials) on the management of mineral wealth and the role of mineral wealth in economic development.
- “La Situacion de Ustados Unidos,” pp. 90-137 in Acceso a mercados para minerals y metales en América (Gobierno de Chile, Ministerio de Mineria y Comision Chilena del Cobre, 2003). Co-authored with Luis Sosa and Claudio Valencia. [“The Situation in the United States,” pp. 90-137 in Market Access for Minerals and Metals in the Americas, Government of Chile, Ministry of Mines and Chilean Copper Commission, 2003.]
- "Mineral and Metal Prices: Mechanisms, Instability, and Trends," in William A. Hustrulid and Richard L. Bullock, editors, Underground Mining Methods: Engineering Fundamentals and International Case Studies (Littleton, Colorado, SME, 2001). Co-authored with Peter A. Howie.
- "Sustainable Development and the Mineral Industry," in James M. Otto and John Cordes, editors, Sustainable Development and the Future of Mineral Investment (Paris, United Nations Environment Programme, 2000).
- "Managerial Risk Taking: A Study of Mining CEOs," Mining Engineering, March 1996, pp. 61-67 (with Michael R. Walls).
- "Mineral Resources," Encyclopedia of the Future (New York, MacMillan, 1995).
- "Critical Issues in the Reform of Mining Law in the United States," JOM, April 1995, pp. 44-45.
- "Reforming the Rules for Mining on Federal Lands," Resources, Fall issue 1994, pp. 6-9.
- "Dzialalnosc gornicza oraz ochrona srodowiska: ekonomia, polityka panstwa oraz zarzadzanie," pp. 27-50 in I Szkola Gospodarki Surowcami Mineralnymi (Krakow, Polska Akademia Nauk, 1993). ["Mining, Mineral Processing, and the Environment: Economics, Public Policy, and Management"]
- "Managing for Successful Mineral Exploration: A Review," Resources Policy, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 173-176, 1993.
- "Exploration," pp. 21-67 in Merton J. Peck, Hans H. Landsberg and John E. Tilton, eds., Competitiveness in Metals: The Impact of Public Policy (London, Mining Journal Books, 1992).
- "The Status of Superconductors and Their Potential Impacts on the Mineral and Metal Industries" (with B. Yarar and J. Trefny), Materials and Society, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 195-210, 1991.
- "Cyclical Instability in Major Metal Markets: An Empirical and Conceptual Introduction," Resources Policy, vol. 17, no. 2, 1991, pp. 91â99.
- "The Passenger Car Industry," pp. 161 â 215 in John E. Tilton, ed., World Metal Demand: Trends and Prospects (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1990).
- "Exploration and Access to Public Lands, "Resources Policy, vol. 15, no. 2, 1989, pp. 115â130.
- "Metal Demand: Secular Change and LongâRun Prospects" (with John E. Tilton), pp. 33â41 in John A. Cordes and Thomas Torries, eds., Surplus Capacity in the International Metals Industry (Littleton, Colorado: Society of Mining Engineers, 1989).
- "Exploration in the United States" (with Arthur W. Rose), pp. 331â362 in John E. Tilton, Roderick G. Eggert, and Hans H. Landsberg, eds., World Mineral Exploration: Trends and Economic Issues (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1988).
- "Base and Precious Metals Exploration by Major Corporations," pp. 105â144 in John E. Tilton, Roderick G. Eggert, and Hans H. Landsberg, eds., World Mineral Exploration: Trends and Economic Issues (Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future, 1988).
- "Changing Patterns of Materials Use in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Materials and Society, vol. 10, no. 3, 1986, pp. 405â431.
- "National Security and Recent Trends in U. S. Mining and Mineral Processing," Materials and Society, vol. 10, no. 2, 1986, pp. 113â129.
- "A Simple Econometric Analysis of Metals Exploration Expenditures: The United States, Canada, and North American Firms", Modeling and Simulation, vol. 16, 1985, pp. 1381â1386.
- "Exploration's Role in Iron and Aluminum Supply Since the Second World War," Natural Resources Forum, vol. 9, no. 3, 1985, pp. 187â196.
- "Mineral Exploration in the USSR and the USA," Resources Policy, vol. 11, no. 2, 1985, pp. 128â140.
- "Metamorphic equilibria in the siliceous dolomite system: 6 kb experimental data and geologic implications" (with D.M. Kerrick), Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 45, 1981, pp. 1039â1049.
Papers in Conference Proceedings
- "Mining Taxation and Economic Rents: A U.S. (Economist's) Perspective," pp. 167-187 in E. Figueroa, editor, Economic Rents and Environmental Management in Mining and Natural Resource Sectors (Santiago, University of Chile, and Edmunton, University of Alberta, 1998).
- "National Mineral Policies and the Location of Exploration," Presidential Address, Proceedings of the Mineral Economics and Management Society, Houghton, Michigan, 1997, pp. 1-8.
- "The Role of Public Policy in Exploration," pp. 5-10 in Peter Crowley, ed., Asia Pacific Resource Development: Exploration and Mining Policy Directions (Canberra: Minerals and Energy Forum, 1994).
- "Metal Recycling and Its Impact on the Demand for Metallic Ores: The Case of Copper," pp. 69-78 in C. Diaz and others, eds., Copper 91-Cobre 91: Plenary Addresses, Economics, and Applications of Copper (New York: Pergamon Press, 1991).
- "Economists and Denver's Brown Cloud" (with R. H. Patrick), pp. 219-224 in Sharon D. Sweet, ed., Proceedings of the Brown Cloud Forum (University of Denver Atmospheric Sciences Center, Technical paper 1988-1).
- Review of Wyatt M. Rogers, Jr., Third Millenium Capitalism: Convergence of Economic, Energy, and Environmental Forces (Westport, Connecticut, Quorum Books, 2000), in Choice, forthcoming 2001.
- Review of James T. Hamilton and W. Kip Viscusi, Calculating Risks: The Spatial and Political Dimensions of Hazardous Waste Policy (Cambridge, Mass., MIT Press, 1999), in Choice, vol. 37, no. 5, 2000.
- Review of Richard M. Auty and Raymond F. Mikesell, Sustainable Development in Mineral Economies (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1998), in Choice, vol. 37, no. 3, 1999.
- Review of Gill Owen, Public Purpose or Private Benefit- The Politics of Energy Conservation (Manchester, Manchester University Press, 1999), in Choice, vol. 37, no. 3, 1999.
- Review of Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, Gulf Energy and the World: Challenges and Threats, in Choice, vol. 36, no. 2, 1998.
- Review of Richard D. Morgenstern, editor, Economic Analysis at EPA: Assessing Regulatory Impact in Choice (Washington, D.C., Resources for the Future, 1997), in Choice, vol. 35, no. 5, 1998.
- Review of Timothy O'Riordan, editor, Ecotaxation (New York, St. Martin's Press, 1997), in Choice, vol. 34, no. 11/12, 1997.
- Review of Peter H. May and Ronaldo Serôa da Motta, editors, Pricing the Planet: Economic Analysis for Sustainable Development in Choice, vol. 34, no. 6, February 1997.
- Review of Earle A. Ripley, Robert E. Redmann, and Adele A Crowder, Environmental Effects of Mining in Environment, vol. 38, no. 9, 1996, p. 31.
- Review of Kaulir Kisor Chatterjee, An Introduction to Mineral Economics in Economic Geology, vol. 89, no. 7, 1994, p. 1652.
- Review of Institution of Mining and Metallurgy, Mining and the Environment 2: A Reference List, in Resources Policy, vol. 17, no. 2, 1991, p. 162.
- Review of U. S. Bureau of Mines, Nonferrous Metal Prices in the United States Through 1988, in Resources Policy, vol. 16, no. 4, 1990, pp. 314?315.
- Review of Daniel Sperling, ed., Alternative Transportation Fuels: An Environmental and Energy Solution, in Natural Resources and Environmental Administration, 1990.
- Review of P. Arndt and G. W. Luttig, eds., Mineral Resources Extraction, Environmental Protection, and Land-Use Planning in Industrial and Developing Countries, in Natural Resources Forum, vol. 13, no. 2, 1989, pp. 172-173.
- Review of Kenji Takeuchi and others, The World Copper Industry: Its Changing Structure and Future Prospects, in Natural Resources Forum, vol. 11, no. 4, 1987, pp. 393-394.
- Review of John A. Wolfe, Mineral Resources: A World Review, in Resources, no. 81, summer/fall 1985, p. 9.
Editorials and Special Issues of Resources Policy
- “Trends in Mineral Economics: Editorial Retrospective, 1989-2006,” Resources Policy, vol. 33, no.1, March 2008, pp. 1-3.
- Mineral Investment Risk and Opportunities in Asia, special issue of Resources Policy, vol. 23, no. 2, June 1998 (editor).
- National Mineral Policies in a Changing World, special issue of Resources Policy, vol. 23, no. 1/2, June 1997 (co-edited with James Otto).
- Competitiveness and Sustainability in Natural Resource Exploitation, special issue of Resources Policy, no. 1/2, June 1996 (co-edited with Marian Radetzki).
- "Sustainability and Resources Policy," Resources Policy, vol. 21, no. 1, 1995, pp. 3-4.
- "The Next Twenty Years," Resources Policy, vol. 20, no. 1, 1994, pp. 3-4.
- Competitive Strength in Mineral Production, special issue of Resources Policy, vol. 18, no. 4, December 1992 (editor).
- Living with Cyclical Instability, special issue of Resources Policy, vol. 17, no. 2, June 1991 (co-edited with David Humphreys).